With all the BBQ’s, trips to the beach, and fireworks, it’s
easy for the meaning of Independence Day to be forgotten amidst all the holiday
plans and excitement. This 4th of July has taken on a special
meaning for me. I woke up this morning with a clarity I haven’t had in a while.
Thinking over the course of my life, before and after God’s gracious call to
salvation, I realize this is the freest I’ve ever been in my life. No doubt,
there are still hurdles to jump over while being transformed into the image of
Christ, but I’m thankful I’m not where I used to because it wasn’t a pleasant
place.
To be honest, Independence Day holds little meaning for me
these days in its traditional context. Before Lincoln’s Emancipation
Proclamation in 1863, slaves didn’t have much to celebrate. America was free
from British rule, but slaves would not be free until almost a century later.
And that freedom came with many obstacles to overcome: overt discrimination, racism, colorism,
psychological, economic and social just to name a few.
It is not my intention to diminish the efforts and
sacrifices of those who fought for freedom in the American Revolution. I am
sure liberty from the British greatly aided the abolitionist’s objective in
showing America’s hypocrisy in fighting for independence from England, yet
perpetuating the brutal and dehumanizing institution of chattel slavery. Until
God lavished His grace on me, I was still in great bondage despite the “freedom”
I’ve experienced because of the American Revolution and Emancipation Proclamation.
Although freedom to an extent is available in America, in many parts of the
world humans are still enslaving other humans in the most horrific ways.
Slavery, after marriage is the oldest institution in history.
When Adam and Eve surrendered their dominion of the world and the Garden of
Eden to Satan through disobedience to God, they gave up their innocence, and
their freedom to serve and worship their Creator. They also shoved the rest of
the yet to be born human race into the chains and shackles known to us as sin (Genesis
3, Romans 5:19). It is a condition we’ve
been indulging in and fighting against ever since.
Sin as master is worse than the cruelest master of chattel
slavery. In fact, sin is what causes one
human to believe he is has the right to own another human being. Like slavery,
sin dehumanizes people and makes them less than what their Creator intended
them to be. Sin takes away one’s peace,
soundness of mind, ability to love, and develop patience and self-control. Sin
destroys any hope for the future.
Slavery though it may break the spirit and body, doesn’t
take away one’s ability to love, capacity for patience, kindness, or self-sacrifice.
The Negro spirituals attest to the perseverance of the human spirit under tremendous
burden. The lyrics of a Negro spiritual
titled “I’ve Got Peace like a River” reads
I’ve got peace like a
river in my soul
I’ve got a river in
my soul
I’ve got joy like a
fountain in my soul
I’ve got a fountain
in my soul
While slavery is a heavy and unjust affliction to endure,
people still manage to rise above their circumstances if only in their minds and
hearts. With sin no amount of human effort can change the nature of inherent
sin.
Sin batters the mind, body and spirit. Just as the slave
master’s whip leaves scars and has the potential to kill, sin scars, obscures
the image of Christ in us, and ends in eternal separation from the one true God
(Romans 6:23, Revelation 2:11).
The human race is undeniably enslaved to sin; it’s a biblical
fact. John 8:34 states “Jesus responded, I assure you: Everyone who commits sin
is a slave of sin.” In addition, Paul says in Romans 6:20 “For when you were
slaves of sin, you were free from allegiance to righteousness” Who or what can
free us from such bondage? Where can we turn for help?
Written on the pages of the bible is the everlasting
gospel. Jesus, the foretold Son of God
and Son of Man was cloaked in human flesh and bore the sins of the world on the
cross. He was laid in a tomb and
resurrected on the third day. The bible states, “Therefore there is now no
condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from
the law of sin and of death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the
flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and
for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh” (Romans 8:1-3). And, “That if you
confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised
Him from the dead, you will be saved” (Romans 10:9). Also John 3:16, Acts 10:43, 2 Tim. 2:8 and
many other verses throughout the New Testament show us the way to redemption .
Jesus Christ, the promised Messiah is the only One who can truly
free us (John 8:36, 14:6). Yet he doesn’t free us to offer us independence apart
from Himself, but total dependence on Him for everything (John 15:5). Romans
6:18 reads, “You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to
righteousness.” Christ has set us free to willingly submit to Him (Galatians
5:1).
How can we celebrate our independence; independence from
sin, eternal death, and anything else that positions itself to keep us in a
state of bondage? We celebrate with thanksgiving, worship, and praise to the
Almighty God who called us out of the domain of darkness into the kingdom of
the Son He loves. We celebrate with
loving our neighbors, witnessing to the lost, feeding the hungry, caring for
widows and the fatherless, clothing the homeless, obeying Christ, and giving
glory to God for His everlasting salvation (James 1:27).
So while we enjoy
Independence Day this 4th of July and the freedom afforded to us by
various wars and proclamations, let us not forget that our most important
independence was purchased over 2000 years ago by the Lamb who was slain before
the foundation of the world (Revelation 13:8).
"Sin as master is worse than the cruelest master of chattel slavery" and "Sin batters the mind, body and spirit. "
ReplyDeleteThis description of sin and is comparison to slavery leaves me speechless!! While we are in the midst of our sins we don't realize how devalued, low and messed up we are! I'm reading this post and am reflecting on my past sins/addictions and I'm like WOW!!! The chains of bondage had me bound and nothing but the grace of God kept me and His spirit freed me-mentally, spiritually, physically and emotionally! Thanks for sharing!
Yes,Sister. Just recently God has revealed to me all the irrational fears after I was saved, but my wandering has made them come back full force. I definitely don't want to be in bondage to anything.
ReplyDelete