The Holy Spirit has really been convicting me on the way I handle my money. He's been doing it for so long and in June I began a spending fast that restricted unnecessary spending. The fast went pretty well and curbed a lot of my unnecessary spending. Unfortunately, the fast did not permanently reform my spending habits because I went right back to my old habits in July. The way I see it, I can continue spending the way I have and accumulate a mountain of debt that I'll never be able to pay back, or I can submit in obedience to my God and reap the blessings of godly stewardship.
I so desperately want financial freedom. I also want to be able to purchase a home in the future and that goal cannot be realized if I don't stop spending and start saving. Even writing these very words, I feel a weight being lifted off my shoulders. God has been blessing me financially and I have nothing to show for it other hair products, shoes, and clothes. I do give to my church and other ministries which is not the problem. My problem is spending the money I have left after bills are paid and offerings are given.
There are a few things I've thought to do about my spending habits. Most of these were taken from the LOV Spending Fast responsibilities. This is no longer a fast, it's a lifestyle change. For anyone who is interested they can be found at http://www.lovislove7.blogspot.com/2013/05/ladies-of-virtue-spending-fast-wise-man.html
1. Pray to God to help me develop more responsible spending habits.
2. Prayerfully develop a monthly budget and stick to it.
3.Take time to mediate on bible verses and devotionals that talk about money and stewardship.
4. Stay away from websites
and stores that I usually shop from. Do not let the lure of an
once-in-a-lifetime sale, coupons, or other incentives lure me away from my goal not to spend.
5. Buy only what is needed.
6. Avoid waste. There is a lot of food wasted in my household and it MUST stop.
6. Avoid waste. There is a lot of food wasted in my household and it MUST stop.
7. Express gratitude to the Lord for His blessings each and every day.
8. Don’t allow anyone to lead me into temptation to spend.
9. Kill the flesh anytime it rises up and wants me to buy something unnecessary.
10. Significantly reduce the amount of times I eat out per week to one no more than two times.
11. In caring for my hair and personal health, I've become a product junkie. I'm only allow to replenish a product once it is completely gone. And sorry flesh no more trying new products. I know what works for my hair and skin and will stick to those products until I have destroyed the urge to spend, spend, spend.
10. Significantly reduce the amount of times I eat out per week to one no more than two times.
11. In caring for my hair and personal health, I've become a product junkie. I'm only allow to replenish a product once it is completely gone. And sorry flesh no more trying new products. I know what works for my hair and skin and will stick to those products until I have destroyed the urge to spend, spend, spend.
"It's no longer a fast, it's a lifestyle." Love that! Reading this blog is like God speaking directly to me. I have been blatantly ignoring the voice of God to STOP being frivolous and wasteful! I feel ashamed that I have been disobedient, and am writing out a plan and budget. I want to be able to function and be effective in ministry without financial constraints.
ReplyDelete